Sunday, January 31, 2010

Why do I want to knit?

First of all, my purpose:
In this blog, I want to review knitting sites and update you on how easy it really is to knit (or how hard?). I am attempting to stick with the internet for this (i.e. no outside help from real people), but if I completely fail, I will seek guidance. Feel free to comment directions or recommendations!

Truly, I have no idea what gave me this inexplicable urge to knit. All that I know is that suddenly, knitting was "cool." How did knitting become socially acceptable for teenagers? You tell me.

My grandmother was always a very crafty and strong woman. She loved to tat (I might tackle that later?) and she used to knit. My friend's mother is a hard-core knitter: she always has her yarn and needles and literally knits EVERYWHERE. I mean it, EVERYWHERE. She's eating, she's surfing the net, she's shopping, she's at a stop light, and she knits! I guess these women have influenced me.

I've decided that my "goal" is to be able to knit this hat. It is absolutely lovely! Obviously, I can't just start knitting like crazy, so I am trying to learn the basics.

At the current time, here is what I know:
Knit 1, Purl 2. Oh, and you need yarn and needles.

Just kidding. I've been searching the internet for awhile. I "know" how to cast on and make a slip-knot. I know that there is also some sort of "casting off," when you finish your piece.

I have circular needles and regular needles, and they are all metallic. I have some older yarn from my mother (who didn't knit much, but still had plenty of supplies). So, I am ready to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment